Apple Crumble Pie with Cheddar Crust
A New Twist on an Old Favorite
Apple Crumble Pie with Cheddar Crust is a unique version of a well-known tradition of serving apple pie with slices of cheddar cheese. This recipe combines all the flavors into every bite. ENJOY!
- 1¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ cup unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- ¾ cup grated sharp Cheddar Cheese
- 3 to 4 tablespoons cold water
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar, packed
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold and cut into ½” pieces
- ½ cup grated sharp Cheddar Cheese
- 3 cups crisp, tart apples (Granny Smith, Braeburn, Pink Lady) – cored, peeled, and thinly sliced
- 3 cups sweet apples (Fuji, Gala, Jonagold) – cored, peeled, and thinly sliced
- 4 tablespoons freshly-squeezed lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest, finely grated
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly-grated nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon allspice
Make the Crust
- Combine the flour, salt, and cayenne in a large mixing bowl.
- Use a pastry blender to cut the butter into the flour until – continue cutting until the mixture resembles coarse meal (tiny pellets).
- Add grated cheese and toss to mix well.
- Add cold water – one tablespoon at a time (up to 4 tablespoons) until a rough dough forms.
- Gently form dough into a ball (handle as little as possible).
- Place on large piece of plastic wrap and flatten into ¾” thick disk.
- Wrap tightly in the plastic and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- On a lightly-floured surface, roll out the dough into an 11” circle about ¼” thick.
- Gently place the dough in a 9” pie pan.
- Trim the dough leaving a ½” overhand.
- Fold the overhand under itself to form an edge along the top of the pan, and crimp edges.
- Chill for 30 minutes more.
- Preheat oven to 425 º F.
- Line the crust with parchment paper and fill with dried beans.
- Bake the chilled crust until lightly browned ~about 15 minutes.
- Carefully remove the paper and dried beans.
- Cool on a wire rack.
Make the Filling
- Pare, core and slice all the apples.
- Place them in a large bowl and toss with lemon juice and zest.
- Place the sugar, flour, cinnamon, salt, nutmeg, and allspice in a small bowl and whisk to blend.
- Sprinkle the spice mixture over the apples and toss to mix thoroughly.
- Spoon the apples into the prepared crust.
Make the Topping
- Place the flour, brown sugar, butter, and grated Cheddar cheese in a small bowl and gently toss with a fork.
- Sprinkle the crumble mixture evenly across the top of the pie.
- Place pie in the middle of the oven and bake until the topping is golden brown ~ 50 to 60 minutes. (Place a strip of foil around the edges to prevent excess browning – remove the last 15 minutes of the baking time.)
- Cool on a wire rack for at least 30 minutes before serving.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
- Use a variety of apples – a mix of sweet and tart – for a delicious blend of flavors.