Baked Beans is a hearty winter dish that will warm everyone nicely after coming in from the cold weather. The beans are delicious as a side dish with ribs as shown in the photo. Or – serve with fried eggs or as a stand-alone main dish with hot buttered corn bread and a crisp green salad.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 pound center-cut thick bacon, cut into 1″ pieces
- ½ cup ketchup
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon brown mustard
- 1 can (15 oz) dark kidney beans, drained
- 1 can (15 oz) butter beans, drained
- 1 can (30 oz) pork and beans, undrained
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Sauté onion in olive oil over medium high heat until it starts to soften.
- Add 1 pound center-cut bacon and cook until crispy.
- Remove bacon and onions from pan with a slotted spoon and place on folded paper towels.
- Blot with extra paper towels to remove as excess fat.
- Combine ketchup, sugar, brown sugar, white vinegar and mustard in a large oven-proof dish.
- Add drained kidney and butter beans along with un-drained pork and beans.
- Add bacon and onions to bean mixture. Stir well to combine.
- Bake uncovered for ~45 minutes – until hot and bubbly.
NOTE: If prepared in advance and refrigerated before cooking, the baking time will be extended.