Caramel Pumpkin Tart Recipe
This Caramel Pumpkin Tart recipe is easy to make and a hit with all ages. The recipe blends the yummy combination of spiced pumpkin and rich caramel all wrapped in a glazed buttermilk biscuit. This tasty treat is perfect with morning coffee, in packed lunches or for an after-school snack.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- 1 cube unsalted butter, cold and cut into small pieces
- 1 scant cup buttermilk
- 8 pieces of Werther’s™ Original Baking Caramels, or any good soft caramels
- ¼ cup pre-seasoned Libby’s Canned Pumpkin Pie Mix
- 1 large egg
- Sugar and cinnamon mix for topping (Optional)
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- Grease a large baking sheet.
- Place all the dry ingredients in a large bowl and whisk together until well-mixed.
- Using a pastry blender cut in the chilled butter into the dry ingredients until coarse crumbs are formed. (There may be a few large clumps remaining.)
- Form a well in the center of the crumbs and pour in the cold buttermilk.
- Using a rubber spatula or wooden spoon, fold the buttermilk gently into the mixture – just until the dough sticks together. (Add a few more teaspoons of buttermilk, if necessary) DO NOT OVERMIX.
- Scrape the dough onto a lightly floured board.
- With floured fingers, gently pat the dough into a round about 8” in diameter and 1/4″ to 1/2″ thick, pressing in any loose bits. Do not overwork the dough.
- Use a 2½” to 3” biscuit cutter dipped in flour to cut out the biscuits as close together as possible. (Use one cut edge as the edge for the next biscuit.)
- Place half of the biscuits about 1½” inches apart on a large greased baking sheet.
- Press an unwrapped caramel and 1 small teaspoon of spiced pumpkin in the center of each biscuit.
- Top with another biscuit round and pinch the sides together carefully – use a fork if you want to make a design around the edges.
- Use a pastry brush to brush the top of each “mini-pie” with the beaten egg to glaze.
- Optional: Sprinkle the top any combination of sugar and spice, such as: brown sugar or granulated sugar with cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice. (Use a light hand.)
- Bake for 18-20 minutes until light golden brown and cooked through. Enjoy!