Cheesy Tuna Casserole – Busy Mom’s Series
Cheesy Tuna Casserole is the perfect family supper as the days get shorter and the weather grows cooler. After a long, tiring day at work and school, this comfort food will be enjoyed by all.
- 3 cups egg noodles
- ¼ cup butter (do not use margarine)
- 1 cup chopped red sweet pepper
- 1 cup chopped celery (~2 stalks)
- ¼ cup yellow onion, finely diced
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 – 2 tablespoons Dijon-style mustard
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2¼ cups milk
- 1 can (12 oz) chunk white tuna (water pack), drained and broken into chunks; two 5-ounce pouches chunk light tuna in water, drained; or two 6-ounce cans skinless, boneless salmon, drained
- 1 cup cubed cheddar cheese
- ½ cup soft bread crumbs
- ¼ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese (1 ounce)
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, snipped or minced
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 375º F.
- Lightly butter a 2-quart baking dish; set aside.
- In a large saucepan cook noodles according to package directions; drain.
- Return noodles to pan, cover, and set aside.
Prepare the Sauce
- Melt ¼ cup butter in a medium-sized sauce pan over medium heat.
- Add sweet pepper, celery, and onion – sauté for 8 to 10 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in flour, mustard, salt, and black pepper.
- Gradually stir in milk and cook, stirring continuously, until slightly thickened and bubbly.
- Using a wooden spoon or rubber spatula gently fold sauce, tuna, and cheddar cheese into cooked noodles.
- Pour noodle mixture to the buttered baking dish.
- In a small bowl stir together soft bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, and parsley; stir in melted butter.
- Sprinkle crumb mixture over noodle mixture.
- Bake, uncovered, for 25 to 30 minutes or until bubbly.
To Freeze and Serve Later
- Cover baking dish with plastic wrap, then with foil.
- Freeze for up to 1 month.
- TO SERVE: Thaw in the refrigerator overnight (may still be a bit icy).
- Bake uncovered in preheated oven (375º F) for 65 to 75 minutes or until heated through.
- Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
NOTE: Can be made with other types of pasta, experiment and find the one your family enjoys the most.