Chocolate Almond Marble Pie
Chocolate Almond Marble Pie is a parfait delight filled with a sweet creamy center that blends three favorite flavors – vanilla, chocolate, and almonds
- 1 ½ cups crushed Nabisco™ Chocolate Wafers (~25 wafers)
- 6 tablespoons melted butter
- 6 tablespoons whole milk
- ¼ cup almond paste
- 2 ounces semi-sweet chocolate, melted and cooled
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2¼ cups whole milk
- 3 large egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Whipped cream or chocolate curls for garnish
Prepare the Crust
- Place the wafers in a heavy plastic bag, seal, and crush with a rolling pin.
- Place the crushed wafers in a mixing bowl and stir in the melted butter – combine thoroughly.
- Scoop the crumb mixture into a 9” pie plate.
- Press the crumbs onto the bottom and sides of the plate until evenly distributed and well-packed.
- Chill for about an hour until firm.
Prepare the Vanilla Pudding
- Place a mesh strainer over a 4-cup measuring cup or bowl with a spout and set aside.
- Place the sugar, cornstarch, and salt in a medium saucepan and whisk until incorporated.
- Continue to whisk and slowly drizzle in 1/4 cup of the milk until smooth.
- Whisk in the egg yolks and remaining milk.
- Place the saucepan over medium heat and cook, whisking or stirring frequently – just until the pudding begins to bubble and thicken ~ about 5 to 6 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to medium low and switch to a heat-resistant rubber spatula or flat-edged wooden spoon.
- Stir constantly, scraping the bottom and sides of the pan often until the pudding forms ribbons when drizzled over the surface ~3 to 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat.
- Add the butter and vanilla extract and stir until the butter is melted and mixture is completely blended.
- Pour the pudding through the prepared strainer and set aside to cool for 5 minutes while you prepare the chocolate/almond mixture. (Be sure to gently stir the pudding at least twice as it cools.)
NOTE: You can substitute 1 package (4½ or 5 oz) regular vanilla pudding mix – and prepare according to package instructions
Prepare the Chocolate/Almond Sauce
- Melt the chocolate in the microwave and set aside to cool.
- Place the almond paste in a small mixing bowl and add 1 tablespoon of the milk at a time – beating with an electric hand-held mixer until smooth.
- Add the melted chocolate and beat until well-blended.
Assemble the Pie
- Spread 1 cup of the slightly cooled pudding over the bottom of the chilled crust.
- Using half of the chocolate/almond mixture, place dollops evenly on top of the pudding.
- Spread remaining pudding over the top and add another round of chocolate dollops on top.
- Use a thin spatula or table knife and gently swirl through the pie to create a marbled effect.
- Lightly press a piece of plastic wrap on top of the pie to prevent a skin from forming.
- Chill several hours – until firm.
- Serve with whipped cream and/or chocolate curls.