Make Ahead Dessert for the Holidays
This is a wonderful dessert that blends smooth chocolate, rich Dulce de Leche and sweet shortbread in one perfect taste. It can be prepared ahead, frozen, and served when you need it – to the delight of family and friends.
- 3 cubes softened butter (not margarine)
- ½ cup sugar
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 can (13.4 oz) Dulce de Leche (or make your own)
- ¾ cup whipping cream
- 6 tablespoons butter (not margarine)
- 3 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 12 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
- ¾ teaspoon vanilla
- Place butter in a large bowl and beat with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds.
- Add sugar and 1½ teaspoons vanilla; beat until combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally.
- Add the flour – beating with the mixer as long as possible and finish mixing with a heavy wooden spoon.
- Cover and chill for 30 to 60 minutes or until dough is easy to handle.
READY TO BAKE
- Preheat oven to 350º F.
- Line a 13” x 9”x 2” pan with foil – wrap the foil over edges of pan.
- Press dough evenly into bottom of the foil-lined baking pan.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until top is lightly browned.
- Cool in pan on a wire rack.
- Spread Dulce de Leche evenly across the top of the cooled crust.
- Place the whipping cream, 6 tablespoons butter, and the corn syrup in a medium sauce pan.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring to dissolve syrup.
- Remove from heat.
- Add chocolate and vanilla to mixture in the saucepan – DO NOT STIR.
- Let stand 5 minutes, then, stir until smooth.
- Let stand 10 minutes at room temperature to cool slightly.
- Slowly pour chocolate mixture evenly over the Dulce de Leche layer.
- Cover and chill 1 to 2 hours or until chocolate layer is completely set.
- Use the foil to lift uncut bars out of pan.
- Cut into bars.
Yield: 48 bars
TO STORE: Layer bars between sheets of waxed paper in an airtight container and cover. The bars can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.