Ice Cream Pie – A Family Favorite for the Holidays
Ice Cream Pie is by far the gold star family favorite since a friend introduced it to us over 30 years ago. This should be one of the first on your list to try for the holidays! One of the many delicious desserts in my cookbook, DESSERT – 50 Scrumptious Recipes. Pick up your copy today.
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1 cup mini marshmallows
- 1 dash salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 gallon rich vanilla ice cream
- ½ box vanilla wafers
- ½ cup walnuts, chopped (optional)
- Melt chocolate chips, milk, marshmallows, salt and vanilla over medium heat.
- Cook until thickened – stirring occasionally to prevent burning.
- Set aside to cool – must be cool prior to assembling pie.
ASSEMBLE THE PIE
- Line bottom of pie plate (9” preferable) with vanilla wafers.
- Place layer of ice cream over vanilla wafers to form the first layer of ice cream. Ice cream must be just soft enough to work with, but not so soft that it will quickly melt into a mushy mess.
- Flatten the ice cream to fill in the gaps and make a solid layer.
- Spread ½ chocolate sauce over the ice cream – covering completely.
- Place vanilla wafers around the edge of the pie plate to complete the crust (flat side against the pie plate slanted edge).
- Build another layer of ice cream (this should use all or almost all of the ice cream).
- Cover top with remaining chocolate or to taste.
- Sprinkle top with nuts, if desired.
- Cover with plastic wrap and place in freezer to set (at least four hours before serving).
- Take out of the freezer about 20 minutes prior to serving to facilitate cutting.
- For family dinners I make half of the pie topped with nuts and half without – to meet everyone’s preferences.
- This is a great holiday or special occasion dessert because it can be made several days ahead of time.
- Just remember to take it out of the freezer 20 minutes before serving so that it will cut easily.