Coconut Cream Pie is an American Classic. This is one of the best recipes you will find for this wonderful dessert. It is likely to become a family favorite.
- 1¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup unsalted butter (1 cube – cold)
- 1/3 cup shredded sweetened coconut
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons coconut rum (very cold)
- 1½ cups coconut milk
- 1½ cups half-and-half
- 5 large egg yolks
- ¾ cup sugar
- 4-5 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon butter (do not use margarine)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1½ cups sweetened flaked coconut
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla
Whipped Cream Topping
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Make the Crust
- Cut the butter into small cubes and place in the freezer to make sure it is very cold.
- Pour two ounces of coconut rum over ice to chill.
- Place 1/3 cup shredded coconut in the blender or food processor. Pulse to chop very fine.
- Place the flour and salt in a large mixing bowl and whisk to blend.
- Add the cold butter to the flour mixture and mix with a pastry blender until it is finely chopped and well-mixed into the flour – should look like tiny pellets.
- Remove the ice from the chilled coconut rum and slowly add the rum to the flour/butter mixture (1 tablespoon at a time) until it clumps together. (The dough should be firm, not sticky. It usually takes about 4 tablespoons)
- Place the dough on a piece of plastic wrap and flatten into a disk.
- Wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 375º F.
- After the dough is chilled place it on a floured work surface and roll into a 14” circle.
- Hold one side of the pie crust over the rolling pin and carefully roll it over the top of the rolling pin to transfer it to the pie pan.
- Do your best to avoid stretching the pie crust as you gently move it into the center of the pie plate and smooth it into place.
- Fold the edges under and crimp with your fingers or a fork to seal.
- Cover the pie crust with a large piece of foil and shape it to the dough – use a gentle touch.
- Fill the foil with dried beans and bake the crust for 15 minutes.
- Very carefully remove the foil and beans and bake for 10 minutes more. Cool completely before filling.
Toast the Coconut (for Topping)
- Spread ½ cup flaked, sweetened coconut evenly on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Place into 350º F oven for 5-8 minutes until coconut has just begun to turn brown. DO NOT take your eyes off the coconut while it’s in the oven. It can burn in a second!
- Set aside to cool.
Make the Custard Filling
- Pour coconut milk and half-and-half into a liquid measuring cup.
- Add egg yolks and whisk together with milk/cream mixture until well blended.
- Place sugar and cornstarch in a heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium-low heat.
- Slowly add the egg/milk mixture to the sugar and cornstarch, whisking continuously and bring to a boil.
- Switch to a wooden spoon and continue stirring – boil for one minute more.
- Remove from heat and add butter, coconut, vanilla and salt.
- Pour custard into pie crust and smooth out the top
- Cover lightly with plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator until set, about 30-45 minutes.
Whip the Topping
- Place the sugar and heavy whipping cream in a large chilled bowl.
- Beat with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form.
- Add vanilla and continue to beat until well-blended.
- Spread whipped cream on top of coconut custard.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- When ready to serve, sprinkle with toasted coconut.