This Easy Chicken Divan recipe is made with turkey, broccoli, pasta and cheese combined to make this simplified version of a classic main dish and one of my family’s favorites.
- 6 ounces uncooked spaghetti (broken into thirds)
- 2 tablespoons real butter (not margarine)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded (8 ounces)
- ½ cup whole milk
- 2 cups roasted chicken (or turkey), bite-sized pieces
- 2 cups fresh broccoli – broken into small florets
- (Steamed to firm- tender – do not overcook)
- ½ cup fresh mushrooms, sliced and sautéed in 1 tablespoon butter
- Pre-heat oven to 350° F.
- Butter a 9″ X 13″ baking dish or a 2-quart casserole baking dish.
- Cook spaghetti according to package directions and drain well.
- Place 2 tablespoons butter in a heavy sauce pan.
- Stir in the flour and cook until mixture is smooth and bubbly (about 2 minute).
- Whisk in the chicken broth and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until mixture comes to a full boil (4 to 5 minutes).
- Boil for 1 minute and then, remove from the heat.
- Stir in 1½ cups shredded cheese and milk – continue to stir until cheese is melted.
- Combine the spaghetti, turkey, broccoli, mushrooms and cheese mixture – stir gently to combine.
- Pour into the prepared baking dish and top with remaining ½ cup cheese.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until bubbly around the edges.
- Serve with chilled fresh fruit salad and warm, buttered French bread.