European Style Hot Chocolate, thick and creamy, is utterly delicious. I first discovered it many, many years ago while living in Madrid, Spain. I have tried to recreate it numerous times with some success, but it has always been filled with calories and fat.
Today, I found this recipe by Dr, Janet Brill, Ph.D., R.D., a nationally recognized expert in the field of health and wellbeing, and author of several books including Cholesterol Down. She lightens the recipe with a healthier, delicious version of the classic drink. You should try it . . . sooooo good! Only 190 calories and 0 cholesterol.
- 2¼ cups vanilla soy milk
- ½ cup natural unsweetened dark cocoa powder (or three squares of unsweetened baking chocolate, melted)
- ¼ cup sugar (or 1/8 cup Splenda sugar blend)
- 1½ tablespoons corn starch
- Combine all ingredients in a large saucepan.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon.
- Remove from heat, pour immediately into three mugs
- Top with fat-free whipped topping and a dash of cocoa powder, if desired.
Servings: 3 (1/2 cup each) It is so rich that is all you will need per person.