Frosted Pumpkin Spice Cookies
Frosted Pumpkin Spice Cookies are as yummy as they look. They are incredibly easy to make . . . and oh-so-easy to eat. Children of all ages will enjoy them (especially the cook).
- ¾ cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces cold cream cheese
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter (¾ cube), softened
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- Grated lemon or orange zest, ground cinnamon, or liqueur (optional)
Make the Cookies
- Pre-heat the oven to 350º F.
- Lightly butter a large cookie sheet.
- Sift together all dry ingredients in medium-sized bowl – set aside.
- Cream together the shortening, sugar, and pumpkin – beat until smooth.
- Add egg and vanilla and stir until well blended.
- Stir-in sifted dry ingredients.
- Drop from spoon onto cookie sheet.
- Bake in the pre-heated oven for 12-15 minutes.
Make the Frosting
- Place cold cream cheese, room temperature butter and vanilla in a medium bowl.
- Using an electric hand-held mixer on low speed, beat just until well blended.
- Add powdered sugar 1/3 at a time and beat just until smooth and the desired consistency.
- If the frosting is too stiff, beat for a few seconds longer – do not over beat.
- Frost cookies after they have cooled.
Yield: 48 cookies.