End of Summer Series – Salad
When I was a young married woman, years ago, I made a grapefruit and avocado salad similar to this, but I used canned grapefruit. This one is made with all fresh ingredients – healthy and delicious.
- 2 large red or pink grapefruit – peeled with a knife as shown in the photo.
- 2 ripe avocados, peeled, pitted, cut into bite size pieces
- ½ sweet red bell pepper, diced
- 4 green onions, chopped (or 1 small red onion, peeled and sliced thinly)
- 1 tablespoon local honey
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup pistachios
- ¼ cup dried cranberries
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Several leaves each of two or three different kinds of lettuce (e.g. Romaine, iceberg, red leaf)
- Place four salad plates in the refrigerator to chill.
- Be sure the lettuce has been washed and chilled so that it is very crisp.
- Break the mixed lettuce into bite-sized pieces. Place into a large bowl, cover lightly with a damp paper towel, and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Peel the grapefruit with a very sharp knife. Remove as much of the pith as possible and sliced out the segments.
- Cut each segment in half and place in a large glass bowl.
- Prepare the avocados, bell pepper, and onions – add to the grapefruit in the large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the honey, soy sauce, and olive oil until frothy.
- Immediately pour over the grapefruit/avocado/peppers/onion mixture and toss gently until well-mixed.
- Add the pistachios and dried cranberries – toss lightly,
- Season with salt and pepper – to taste.
- Place the mixed lettuce pieces on four chilled salad plates.
- Divide the grapefruit mixture evenly and place on top of the lettuce.
- Serve immediately.