Grilled Angel Food Cake is an absolute life-saver if you suddenly find yourself in need of a tasty dessert that can be put together in minutes and pleases both the eye and the palate. All you need is an angel food cake, fresh berries, whipping cream, your favorite chocolate bar, and you are ready to go.
- 1 pint fresh strawberries, washed, hulled, and sliced
- 1 small container fresh blueberries
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 teaspoon real vanilla extract
- 1 angel food cake, (store bought, from a mix, or made from scratch)
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 high-quality dark chocolate bar (optional)
- Fresh mint sprigs (optional)
- Wash, hull, and slice the strawberries – sprinkle very lightly with sugar, stir, and place in the refrigerator.
- Wash the blueberries and drain as much water as possible – pat dry with a paper towel if necessary and place in the refrigerator.
- In a chilled glass mixing bowl, place the heavy cream, sugar and vanilla extract.
- Using chilled beaters in an electric mixer – beat until soft peaks form and place in refrigerator.
- Cut angel food cake into equally-sized slices. Do not cut into wedges around the center of the cake as they will not brown evenly under the broiler.
- Using a pastry brush, coat both sides of the angel food cake slices with melted butter.
- Lay on a metal baking sheet covered with foil and place under broiler.
- Toast until golden brown. (Watch carefully because this will occur quickly).
- Remove from oven and turn slices to toast second side.
- Remove from oven and serve immediately.
- Top two slices of toasted angel food cake with homemade whipped cream and fresh berries.
- Top with shaved dark chocolate and/or sprigs of fresh mint, if desired.