Holiday Nut Pie – A Tasty Holiday Dessert
Holiday Nut Pie is a lovely dessert to serve for a family dinner, for a coffee brunch with friends, or for special dinner guests. It is a deliciously unusual pie that will receive rave reviews.
- Pastry for single crust pie
- 3 large eggs
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup light brown sugar, packed
- ½ cup light cream
- ¼ cup melted butter (not margarine)
- ¼ light corn syrup
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
Make the Crust
- Pre-heat the oven to 450° F.
- Prepare and roll out pastry – line a 9” pie plate.
- Trim pastry to ½” beyond the edge of the plate.
- Flute the edge with your fingers.
- (Do not prick the bottom of the pastry)
- Bake in the hot oven for 5 minutes and cool thoroughly on a wire rack.
Make the Filling
- Prepare foil strips to cover edge of the pie crust.
- Reduce oven heat to 375° F.
- Place the eggs in a mixing bowl and beat lightly with an electric hand-held mixer.
- Add both granulated and brown sugars, light cream, melted butter, corn syrup, vanilla, and salt – mix well.
- Stir in the chopped nuts.
- Place the pie shell on the oven rack and pour the filling into the shell.
- Cover the edges of the pie with the foil strips to prevent over browning.
- Bake for 20 minutes – remove the foil and bake for 15 to 20 minutes more, or until knife inserted in the center of the pie comes out clean.
- Place on a wire rack to cool thoroughly before serving.
- To serve – top with whipped cream.
- Store leftover pie in the refrigerator.