School has started, the weather is still warm, and kids are coming home hot and hungry. It is nice to have delicious, “cool” (as in refreshing AND neat) hot weather desserts for dinner that will satisfy kids of all ages.
These recipes are sure to become family favorites that will be requested time and time again. The best part is that you will love them, as well, because they are fairly easy to make.
Fresh Fruit Pizza
This dish will please everyone in your household, plus friends – and, it is an good way to get the kids (and dad) to eat more fruit. It is great for dessert or a snack.
- 1 package refrigerated sugar cookie dough mix
- 1-8 oz. pkg. cream cheese, softened
- 2-3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 4 cups assorted fruits, sliced (strawberries, bananas, oranges, blueberries, etc.)
Prepare the Crust
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees Celsius).
- Roll cookie dough into a ball and place in the center of a round pizza pan.
- Spread dough evenly over the pan, into a 12 inch circle.
- Bake ~ 20 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Allow to cool
Prepare the Topping and Assemble
- Wash, dry and slice the fruit.
- Gently blend together in a bowl (do not stir, will make it too juicy) – set aside.
- Whip the softened cream cheese and sugar together with a hand-held mixer until smooth.
- Spread cream cheese over the cooled cookie crust
- Mix the sugar and cream cheese together and spread over the cooled cookie crust.
- Top with the fruit and then sprinkle the lemon juice over the fruit (to keep it from turning brown). Cover lightly with Saran Wrap and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Slice into 12 pizza wedges and serve.
- Refrigerate any leftovers.
NOTE: This snack does contain sugar in the cookie crust and a little in the cream cheese, but overall, it is fairly healthy and a whole lot better than straight cookies. If you are so inclined, I would recommend you make your own *sugar cookie dough (see below) so you know exactly what is in it – and there will be no unhealthy additives.
This is a tasty treat to serve at a birthday party. Kids and adults love it!
This is my adaptation from a standard Betty Crocker Sugar Cookie recipe that I found when my children were very young (years ago).
- ½ cup butter, softened
- ½ cup shortening
- 2¼ cups flour
- 1 egg
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon vanilla
- 1 dash salt
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- Beat softened butter and shortening with a hand-held electric mixer on high speed for 30 seconds.
- Add ½ the flour, the egg, sugar, milk, baking powder and soda, vanilla, and salt.
- Beat until thoroughly combined.
- Add remaining flour and continue stirring until completely mixed.
- Cover and chill for at least three hours.
- Roll out one-half the dough into a 12” round approximately 1/8” thick and place on the pizza pan. (You can either make two pizza rounds, or use the remaining dough to make regular sugar cookies – see note below.)
- Bake pizza round 7 to 8 minutes or until lightly browned and well set.
- Leave on the pizza pan and cool on a wire rack.
To make cookies of remaining dough, roll dough into one-inch balls, roll in sugar. Place on greased baking sheet; flatten with a glass and bake 10-12 minutes or until set at 350° F. Remove from cookie sheet to a wire rack to cool completely.
Hot Weather Berry Dessert
This is easy to make and yummy to eat. Your family, friends, and guest will be wowed with this delicious, summery treat.
- 4 cups fresh strawberries
- (OR) 3 cups blackberries, blueberries or raspberries (or a mix)
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1½ cups heavy whipping cream
- Hull and rinse strawberries (or berries of your choice).
- Set aside a few berries for garnish, if desired.
- Place berries in medium-sized bowl.
- Sprinkle with lemon juice; then, gently toss with sugar.
- Let sit for 20 minutes.
- Put berry mixture in a blender or food processor and mix until smooth – set aside.
- (For a chunkier blend, use a large fork to mash them a bit.)
- Beat the cream until soft peaks form.
- Gently fold in berry mixture into cream until evenly distributed.
- Spoon into serving dishes.
- Top with reserved berries for garnish.
- Serve immediately or keep chilled up to 1 hour.
Cool, fruity and delicious; a perfect treat all summer long.
A hot weather treat everyone will enjoy. It is quick and easy to make.
- 4 cups ice
- 1 cup milk (more as needed to reach desired thickness)
- 1 cup plain Greek Yogurt
- 3-4 tablespoons local honey
- 2 cups of your favorite berries (blueberries, strawberries, etc.- or a mix)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Dash of salt
- Fill the blender ¾ full of ice cubes, crush slightly
- Add additional ingredients.
- Blend until smooth.
Use your imagination when thinking of cool, hot-weather desserts and treats to help your family stay cool. Enjoy the wonderful yumminess of summer fruit and veggies. Nothing is better for you or tastier than nature’s own goodness!