This Mexican Quiche recipe is quick and easy to prepare. It is flavorful and filled with protein – minus the extra calories of the traditional crust-style quiche. Of course, crust can be used if you prefer. To cut even more calories, use egg substitute (1 cup) and low-fat cottage and Monterey Jack cheeses.
- 5 or 6 large eggs (1 cup)
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 1½ cups Monterey Jack Cheese, grated
- 1 4-oz can diced Ortega™ green chilies
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- Butter a 9” round cake pan or a 9” x 9” square baking pan.
- Place the eggs, flour, and baking powder in a medium-sized bowl and mix well.
- Add the melted butter, cottage cheese, grated cheese and green chilies.
- Mix just until blended (Do NOT over mix).
- Pour the mixture into the buttered pan.
- Bake in the pre-heated oven for 90 seconds.
- Reduce oven heat to 350° F. and bake for 30 to 35 minutes more. (Top should be golden brown and the quiche should be set.)
- Cut into small squares to serve as an appetizer, or cut into six larger squares and serve for brunch.