Old Hickory Barbecue Sauce is a smart and spicy way to make hot dogs more than just a quick throw-together meal. ENJOY!
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 cup sweet onions, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh garlic
- ¼ cup cocktail sauce
- ½ cup ketchup
- ¼ cup white corn syrup
- ¼ cup honey
- 2 tablespoons Tennessee bourbon
- 2 teaspoons liquid hickory smoke seasoning
- Hot dogs, cooked (Hebrew National Franks are the best)
- Hot dog buns, heated
- 1 cup grated sharp Cheddar cheese (optional)
- Begin by heating the oil in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onions and garlic; sauté until soft.
- Remove pan from the heat – set aside to cool.
- Once the onions and garlic have cooled for a little while, stir in the remaining ingredients.
- Blend together in a blender – be careful when blending hot ingredients.
- Or serve chunky style. (Reserve about ½ cup for serving.)
- Grill the hot dogs or cook under the broiler (or fry in a hot frying pan with a little oil).
- During the last few minutes of cooking, brush them with the barbecue sauce.
- Place each hot dog in a hot bun and top with 1 tablespoon of the sauce,
- Serve with condiments: cheese, crushed corn chips, onions, green peppers, crispy bacon pieces, etc.
- Add a hearty crisp, cold vegetable salad and dinner is ready.