Pork Chops and Potato Casserole is a busy mom’s dream. This creamy, hearty dish goes together in about 20 minutes and bakes for 90 minutes while you sit back, relax, and enjoy your family as dinner cooks.
The Pork Chops
- 4 loin or shoulder pork chops
- All purpose flour
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- Salt and pepper
- Vegetable oil
The Vegetables and Sauce
- 4 large potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 large onions, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1½ cup sour cream
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- ½ teaspoon dry mustard
- 1½ teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 350º F.
- Generously butter a 13” X 9” X 2” baking pan.
- Peel and slice all the potatoes and onions– keeping the two in separate piles.
- Combine the sour cream, mushroom soup, salt and mustard in a 4 cup measuring cup or small bowl – set aside.
- Mince the garlic.
Prepare the Pork Chops
- Trim fat from the pork chops and dredge in flour until coated on both sides.
- Heat 2 or 3 tablespoons oil in a large frying pan over medium heat.
- Add minced garlic to heated oil and sauté for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Add the pork chops, season with salt and pepper and cook until lightly browned.
Assemble the Casserole
- Layer the sliced potatoes across the bottom of the buttered baking pan.
- Top the potatoes with the browned pork chops.
- Separate onion slices into rings and arrange over the pork chops.
- Pour the sour cream/soup mixture over the top, spreading as evenly as possible.
- Cover tightly with foil and bake for 90 minutes in the preheated oven.
- To brown, remove the foil during the last 10 minutes of baking.
- Serve with a crisp green salad and warm crusty French bread and butter.