If pumpkin bread is one of your Fall favorites, you will love this version. It combines the classic pumpkin bread with a layer of cream cheese in the center – a delicious marriage of two fabulous flavors and textures. I know I posted a traditional pumpkin bread earlier in the season, but this was simply too yummy to pass up. I hope you like it.
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2¼ cups sugar
- 8 ounces sour cream
- 5 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons crystallized ginger, finely chopped (optional)
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 can (15 oz) pumpkin puree
- 1 cup cooking oil
- 1/3 cup water
- Preheat oven to 350º F.
- Generously grease or butter two loaf pans – bottom and sides. (Note: This could also be baked in a Bundt cake pan and topped with a creamy glaze for a special dessert.)
- Cream the softened cream cheese and ¼ cup sugar together until fluffy – using an electric hand-held mixer set on medium.
- Add the sour cream and 1 egg and continue to beat until everything is well-mixed.
- Stir in the crystalized ginger – set aside. (The ginger is optional, but it adds an interesting flavor to the cream cheese.)
- Sift together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and salt into a mixing bowl – whisk together to be sure the dry ingredients are thoroughly blended.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the remaining sugar and eggs, plus the pumpkin, cooking oil and water.
- Beat with an electric hand-held mixer set on low until ingredients are well-blended.
- Add the dry ingredients slowly to the pumpkin mixture and beat until combined, scraping down the sides frequently with a rubber spatula.
- Pour 1½ cups of the batter into each loaf pan.
- Place one-half of the cream cheese batter on top of the pumpkin batter in each loaf pan and smooth carefully until top is even.
- Carefully pour the remaining pumpkin batter (divided in half) on top of the cream cheese layer in the two loaf pans – smooth out carefully.
- Bake in the pre-heated oven ~60 to 70 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a loaf comes out clean.