Wonderful Appetizer or a Delicious Meal
Spinach Phyllo Pie is a flavorful spinach and feta Greek dish that is a wonderful appetizer, but can also be served as a main dish. It is perfect when served with Tzatziki Dip, a creamy, tangy cucumber dip flavored with garlic that complements this dish as well as many grilled meats and vegetables.
- Olive oil
- ½ bunch fresh spinach
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 1 egg, lightly whipped
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill (or 1 teaspoon dried dill)
- ½ cup crumbled feta
- 5-10 sheets phyllo dough
- Preheat the oven to 350º F.
- Brush a baking sheet with olive oil and set aside.
- Wash the spinach thoroughly and remove stems – then, squeeze the leaves to remove any remaining water – squeeze them until they appear wilted.
- Chop the spinach and the green onions.
- Place both ingredients in a large mixing bowl with the egg, dill, and feta.
- Mix until well combined.
- Lay 1 or 2 phyllo sheets flat on a very clean counter.
- Rub a little olive oil on each sheet and place 1/5 of your filling near the bottom of the sheet.
- Fold in the sides of the sheet(s) and roll them up.
- Place the rolled, stuffed phyllo onto the baking sheet with the seam facing down.
- Brush the top with a little olive oil.
- Repeat the process four more times.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve with Tzatziki Dip (see recipe below).
In addition to the perfect sauce the recipe above, this dip can also be served with grilled meats, vegetables or pita bread for dipping.
- 3 tablespoons high-quality olive oil
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon white pepper
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 cucumbers, peeled, seeded and finely diced
- 1 teaspoon fresh dill, finely chopped
- Mix together the olive oil, vinegar, garlic, salt, and pepper – whisk to combine well.
- Blend the yogurt with the sour cream with a wire whisk.
- Add the olive oil mixture and blend thoroughly.
- Add the cucumber and chopped fresh dill.
- Chill for at least two hours before serving.