Spicy Lamb Meatballs with Sauce is a wonderful dinner to prepare for guests or for Sunday dinner with the family. Lamb combined with the right combination of spices is exceptionally tasty. Serve over steamed Basmati rice (white or brown) and finish the meal with a crisp green vegetable salad for a nice complement of color and texture.
- 1½ pounds ground lamb
- 1½ pounds lean ground beef
- 2 small onions, finely grated
- 1 3-inch piece fresh ginger root, peeled and finely grated
- 5 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 tablespoons garam masala (ground Indian spices)
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 3 tablespoons finely ground almonds
- 2 eggs, beaten
- ½ cup flour
DIRECTIONS FOR MEATBALLS
- Preheat your oven to 450º F.
- Place the ground beef and ground lamb in a large bowl and mix together until well blended. Add remaining ingredients and stir well. (Use your hands or a stand mixer with the paddle attachment.)
- Roll walnut-sized pieces into evenly sized and shaped meatballs.
- Place the meatballs on a baking sheet and roast them for about 20 minutes or until the centers are barely pink.
- Remove from the baking sheet and set aside until sauce is ready.
- 2 tablespoons virgin olive oil
- ½ cup onion, minced
- 2-3 large cloves garlic, minced (~1 tablespoon)
- 1 tablespoon minced shallots
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin, heated in a small, dry skillet over low heat until fragrant.
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander, heated in a small, dry skillet over low heat until fragrant.
- 4 cups tomato puree
- 1 cup chicken stock
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh mint leaves, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon fresh Italian parsley leaves, minced
- Slivered almonds, toasted, for garnish
- Fresh mint leaves (chopped), for garnish
DIRECTIONS FOR SAUCE
- Heat the oil and heat In a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the onions and saute until soft.
- Add garlic, shallots, cinnamon sticks, cumin, and coriander and saute over low heat ~3 to 4 minutes.
- Add tomato puree, stir well, and bring to a boil – then add the stock.
- Season to taste with salt and freshly-ground black pepper.
- Add the mint, and parsley.
- Simmer ~ 10 minutes and remove the cinnamon sticks.
- Add the prepared meatballs to the sauce and heat until warmed through.
- Pour a small amount of sauce on the plate and add 5 meatballs per serving.
- Garnish with toasted slivered almonds, mint, and warm pita wedges.