Spinach and Sirloin Salad with Spicy Citrus Dressing is a delightfully hearty summer salad. Serve with warm, crusty buttered French bread and ice cold watermelon slices – PERFECT!
- 1 lb. top sirloin steak
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 grapefruit
- 1 orange
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger root
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 dash salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ cup good light olive oil
- 10 oz. fresh baby spinach – washed, well-drained and chilled
- Wash, drain (removing as much water as possible) and refrigerate.
Cook the steak
- Sprinkle salt and pepper on both sides of steak.
- Place 2 tablespoons cooking oil in a heavy skillet over medium-high heat.
- Carefully place the steak in sizzling hot oil and sear on both sides quickly.
- Flip again and cook each side for 4 to 5 more minutes or until steak is done to your preference.
- Remove steak from pan and place on a cutting board – let it rest for 10 minutes.
While the steak is resting, prepare the salad dressing.
- Peel the grapefruit and orange with a very sharp knife (remove as much pith as possible).
- Segment the fruit over a large bowl to save the juices that are released – place the segments in another bowl and set aside.
- To the juices, add vinegar, garlic, ginger, mustard, honey, plus salt and pepper to taste.
- Whisk mixture until combined.
- Continue whisking and slowly drizzle oil into the mixture.
Make the salad
- Remove spinach from frig and break into pieces.
- Slice the steak into very thin slices – cutting against the grain and at a diagonal.
- Prepare the salad by tossing the spinach, fruit, and dressing together.
- Divide evenly on four dinner plates.
- Top with steak and serve immediately.