White Chicken Chili
White Chicken Chili can be prepared in under an hour, including cooking time – a perfect supper choice after a long busy day.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 2 teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Salt and freshly-ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 can Ortega™ diced green chills, drained
- 4 cans white beans, un-drained
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups roasted chicken meat, removed from bones and shredded
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack Cheese
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in a large soup pot or Dutch oven.
- Add onion and garlic – sauté slowly until soft (about 8 to 10 minutes).
- Add cumin, cayenne, salt and pepper – stir well.
- Add green chills, chicken broth, shredded chicken, and 2½ cans of beans.
- Simmer uncovered 15 minutes.
- Place remaining 1½ cans of un-drained beans in blender or food processor to puree.
- Add to soup to thicken.
- Simmer 5 more minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in cheese until melted.
- Serve warm with warn, buttered crusty French bread.
NOTE: Watching your sodium intake? Drain and rinse beans thoroughly. Replace discarded liquid with an equal amount of water. Another option is to not add additional salt to the recipe.