Apple Curried Chicken is made with apples and spices layered over tender chicken breasts – a quick and easy, delicious dinner for the family. Serve with Basmati rice and buttered steamed broccoli.
- 4 fresh boneless, skinless chicken breasts (~5 ounces each)
- (I recommend Red Bird from Colorado if you can find them.)
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 – 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 medium onion – peeled and chopped
- 1 Granny Smith apple – peeled, cored and chopped
- 1 cup chicken broth
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon curry powder
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup raisins
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In a small bowl combine chicken broth, salt, curry, ginger, turmeric and pepper – set aside.
- Rinse chicken breasts, pat dry, and dredge in flour.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- (Optional: Coat skillet with vegetable cooking spray)
- Add chicken and brown on both sides, about 4 minutes total
- Layer the chicken in a baking dish.
- In the same skillet over medium heat, add the water and sauté the onion for 5 minutes.
- Add the apple and cook 1 minute longer and spread evenly over the chicken.
- Pour the broth and spice mixture over the chicken.
- Cover and bake for 30 minutes.
- Add raisins, replace cover, and bake for 5 minutes more.
- Serve immediately over hot Basmati rice.
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 1 hour