Braised Lamb Shanks is a fantastic dish for dinner parties because everything is prepared well ahead of time. It is particularly delicious served with polenta or roasted garlic mashed potatoes to soak up the wonderful sauce. Start with a crisp green salad, add sides of roasted asparagus and hot rolls; then, end the meal with a simple, but elegant dessert and all will be well.
- 4 lamb shanks
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon rosemary
- 1 cup white wine
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 can (8 oz.) tomato sauce
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- Pre-heat the oven to 300° F.
- Sprinkle shanks with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in heavy, lidded, oven-ready pot.
- Using medium-high heat, working in batches, brown shanks on all sides, about 8 minutes.
- Remove shanks, add onion, garlic, oregano, and rosemary, sauté for 1-2 minutes.
- Stir in brown sugar.
- Stir in white wine and tomato sauce.
- Return shanks to pot.
- Cover and bake at 300° F – 3½ to 4 hours (until meat is tender).
- Uncover and continue baking 30 minutes.
This recipe comes from “Dinner – 55 Easy Recipes” Volume I of the Mama Legacy Cookbook Series. [button link=”http://amzn.to/12PTbCX” bg_color=”#252e8f” border=”#0c0d0f”]BUY NOW[/button]to enjoy all the amazing recipes.